1. LEGAL TERMS: By submitting an Entry (as defined herein) to the Stena Line Biofouling Challenge (the “Competition”), you are agreeing to be bound by the following legal terms (“Official Rules”). The Official Rules also incorporate by reference the additional terms specified at https://gex.brightidea.com/StenaLineBiofoulingChallenge (the “Competition Website”). THESE OFFICIAL RULES SUPERSEDE ANY OTHER RULES AND GENERAL TERMS & CONDITIONS ON THE WEBSITE OF ADMINISTRATOR TO THE EXTENT THERE IS ANY CONFLICT OF TERMS.
2. SPONSORS; ADMINISTRATORS: The Competition is administered by BrightIdea (“BrightIdea”), 255 California Street, Suite 1100, San Francisco, CA 94111 and GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY, acting through its GeniusLink™ commercial division located at 33-41 Farnsworth St., Boston, MA 02210 (“GE” or “GeniusLink”). BrightIdea and GE are collectively referred to as “Administrators.” Administrators, on behalf of Stena Line Ltd, Station Approach, Holyhead, Anglesey LL65 1DQ (“Stena Line” or “Prize Sponsor”). Administrators and Stena Line are collectively referred to as “Competition Sponsors” or “Sponsors.”
3. COMPETITION DATES: The Competition begins at 9:00 am Eastern Time (“ET”) on November 29, 2018 and ends at 11:59 pm ET on January 18, 2019 (“Competition Period”). The server hosting the Competition Website is the official time clock for the Competition.
4. GENERAL INFORMATION: Participation is subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Multiple Entries are permitted. Each Entry will be reviewed independently. Multiple individuals or entities may collaborate to submit a single Entry, but a single individual must be designated as an official representative for each Entry.
You are solely responsible for checking applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction before participating in the Competition to make sure that your participation is legal. You are responsible for abiding by your employer's policies regarding participation in the Competition. If you are entering on behalf of a business partnership, company, institution or other entity, you are responsible for confirming with the applicable partnership, company, institution or other entity that your Entry does not violate any policies set by that partnership, company, institution or other entity. Sponsors disclaim any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between you and your employer, partners or other persons or entities related to this Competition. You are solely responsible for all taxes and reporting related to any award that you may receive as part of the Competition. You may be subject to background screenings as needed to assure the Sponsors’ legal compliance.
5. ELIGIBILITY: The Competition is open to all individuals over the age of 18 or the age of majority in said individual’s geographic location and to all validly formed legal entities that have not declared or been declared in bankruptcy. Employees and contractors of Stena Line and Administrators and any of their respective parents, affiliates, or subsidiaries, or contingent workers (including contract and leased workers) are not eligible to enter.
You are solely responsible for all equipment, including but not necessarily limited to, a computer and modem necessary to establish a connection to the World Wide Web; access to the World Wide Web and any related telephone, data, hosting or other service fees associated with such access, as well as all costs incurred by you or on your behalf in participating in the Competition.
6. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, you must first create a free account on https://gex.brightidea.com/StenaLineBiofoulingChallenge (unless you already have such an account, in which case you need not create another account but can simply enter your user name and password). All the registration information that you provide is collectively referred to as your "Account.” Accounts set up on behalf of a legal entity must designate a single individual to serve as the “Official Representative” of the entity. Entries submitted on behalf of a legal entity must then identify the individual serving as the entity’s Official Representative. See below and at the Competition Website for further details and instructions of how to prepare your entry submission and required form to use for submission (found on the Competition Website’s tab “Submit Idea”). During the Competition Period, you must submit your completed idea (hereinafter your “Entry” and referenced interchangeably as your “Idea,” “Submission” and/or “Response” on the Competition Website) using the instructions provided on the Competition Website. By submitting your Entry, you formally accept the Official Rules for this Competition and all decisions of Sponsors, which are final and binding.
By registering and submitting an Entry, you agree that (a) all required fields are complete and all information in your Account is correct and accurate; (b) your registration may be rejected or terminated and all Entries submitted by you may be disqualified if any of the information in your Account is (or Sponsors have reasonable grounds to believe it is) incomplete, incorrect or inaccurate and (c) registration information is collected by Administrators in the United States, on behalf of Stena Line, and may be transferred elsewhere globally as needed for the purposes of the Competition and Stena Line’s business purposes. You agree and acknowledge that you are solely responsible for the security, accuracy and use of your Account.
Each registrant is referred to as an "Entrant" in these Official Rules and as “Entrant” on the Competition Website. Entrants may choose to participate and submit an Entry as an individual or as a team.
Teams: Multiple individuals may collaborate as a team (“Team”). You may not participate on more than one Team, nor may you participate on an individual basis (e.g. submit an Entry by yourself) and at the same time as a team member (e.g. be a member of a Team submitting an Entry). You must register individually for the Competition before joining a Team. You must identify your Team, as well as your Team Leader, in the Entry in accordance with instructions set forth on the Competition Website.
Team Leader: A single individual member must serve as an official representative for each Team (“Team Leader”). If more than one leader is named for a Team, the Team will be disqualified from the Competition. Team Leader is the person submitting the Entry.
Team size: There is no limit to the Team size.
All Entries must be in English. Entry attachments may be submitted in .pdf, .xls, .xlsx, .doc, docx, .ppt, or .pptx formats. Links to publicly available online videos (e.g., YouTube) can be included in your Entry. There is a maximum limit of 50MB for your complete Entry, including supplemental attachments.
Sponsors are not responsible for (a) late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, incorrect or misdirected Entries or other communications, (b) errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines, or (c) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of Entry materials, loss or other issues related to data such as quality, access or security. Sponsors are not responsible for electronic communications or emails which are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in any email account to receive email messages. Sponsors disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system or device resulting from participating in, accessing or downloading of information in connection with the Competition.
Sponsors reserve the right to modify, remove or add data to the Competition Website upon notice to Entrants through their Accounts, via email using the email address associated with their Accounts and/or by such other reasonable means as Sponsors may determine. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to extend or modify the dates of the Competition and/or Entry submission dates, and to change the terms of these Official Rules governing any portion thereof taking place after the effective date of any such change upon notice to Entrants, via email using the email address associated with their Accounts and/or by such other reasonable means as Sponsors may determine. Entrants are urged to consult the Competition Website regularly during the Competition. Sponsors shall have the right to remove any blog comment or posting related to the Competition from the Competition Website in their sole discretion at any time and for any reason.
BY REGISTERING FOR THE COMPETITION, YOU ACCEPT THE CONDITIONS STATED IN THESE OFFICIAL RULES, AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE DECISIONS OF THE SPONSORS AND WARRANT THAT YOU ARE ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE COMPETITION. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT ALL OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, THEN PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN ENTRY IN THE COMPETITION. WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU PRINT A COPY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES FOR YOUR FUTURE REFERENCE.
7. COMPETITION OBJECTIVE: The objective of the Competition is to identify solutions to keep a ship’s hull continuously clean of marine organisms (prevent and/or continuously remove biofouling) that can be applied to cargo and passenger ships that travel in all of the world’s oceans.
8. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: Entrants will submit Entries via instructions on the Competition Website during the Competition Period. Entries will serve as a non-confidential introduction to Entrant’s methodology and expertise.
Your Entry must meet the following criteria (“Entry Requirements)”) (BUT MUST NOT INCLUDE OR OTHERWISE DISCLOSE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION):
Be technically viable and based on sound scientific principles,
Preferably, it should have laboratory or marine data that demonstrate efficacy;
Have a clear path for deployment (and commercialization) on ships.
Be a cost effective for widescale deployment, including:
Installation and operating costs less than or equal to today’s paint/coatings, and,
Be as or more durable than incumbent coatings.
Your Entry must include the following:
A short executive summary (3-5 sentences) of your proposed solution;
A detailed description of how the solution can keep a ship’s hull continuously clean of marine organisms (prevent and/or continuously remove biofouling) and can be applied to cargo and passenger ships that travel in all of the world’s oceans;
Any supporting documents, such as laboratory or marine data, drawings or designs, which show how your solution would operate (e.g. illustrations, performance data, etc.);
A brief description of your experience, background and capabilities (and your Team's) including relevant past projects and experiences, and the name of each team member.
Entries will be evaluated using the Entry Judging criteria (defined herein). Up to two (2) of the most promising Entries will be selected as prize winners.
9. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: By simply submitting an Entry and participating in this Competition, you are not granting Sponsors any rights to practice the claims of any patents related to the technology described in your Entry. However, because your Entry is not considered confidential by Sponsors, you are effectively making public all information contained in your Entry. Doing so may affect your ability to patent or otherwise protect the technology described in your Entry. Except for the portions of your Entry claimed by a valid and enforceable patent you may own (“Protected IP”), you acknowledge and agree that Sponsors have the unrestricted right to use all information and technology described in your Entry. For example, except for Protected IP, you acknowledge and agree that Sponsors may use, reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivate works of any information, materials, or submitted ideas contained in your Entry (collectively, “Entry IP”), and may allow others to do the same. As such, if you desire patent protection related to your submission, you are encouraged to consult with a qualified attorney before submitting any Entry to determine if your rights may be affected by your submission.
By submitting an Entry, you consent to the use, by Sponsors, their affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, and licensees, of your name, likeness, image, biographical information, prize information (if an award winner), your company or institution name (if your Entry is from a company or institution) and any other personal data submitted with your Entry and the contents in your Entry (including any created works), in connection with the Competition, in any media or format now known or hereafter invented, in any and all locations worldwide, without any payment to or further approval from you. You agree that this consent is perpetual and cannot be revoked.
You agree that nothing in the Official Rules grants you a right or license to use the name or any trademark or service mark of Stena Line or GE, or any Stena Line or GE affiliate. You grant to Sponsors the right to include your name, or your company or entity’s name (if your Entry is from a company, institution or other entity) as an Entrant on the Competition Website and in materials related to Sponsors’ promotion of the Competition. Other than these uses, you are not granting Sponsors any rights to your trademarks by entering the Competition.
10. BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP: The intent of the Competition is to encourage Entrants to suggest their ideas and innovations to Sponsors. Participation in this Competition and acceptance of the Prize Award does not create an obligation on either your part or Prize Sponsor’s part to negotiate or enter into any business relationship or to sign any commercial agreement. Prior to acceptance of the Prize Award, you are free to discuss your Entry and the ideas or technologies that it contains with other parties and you are free to contract with any third party provided you do not sign any agreement or undertake any obligations that conflict with these Official Rules or that conflict with any agreement that you have entered into with Prize Sponsor regarding your Entry.
HOWEVER, ACCEPTANCE OF THE PRIZE DOES OBLIGATE YOU TO ENTER INTO A CONFIDENTIALITY/NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT WITH PRIZE SPONSOR AND TO DISCLOSE ANY PRE-EXISTING CONTRACTS WHICH YOU MAY HAVE ENTERED INTO WITH ANY THIRD PARTY REGARDING YOUR ENTRY AND THE ENTRY IP (AS DESCRIBED ABOVE).
12. CONFIDENTIALITY: Because Sponsors do not wish to receive or hold any submitted materials “in confidence,” it is agreed that, with respect to your Entry, no confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy is established between Sponsors and you, the company or entity you represented when submitting an Entry, or the owner of any part of your Entry, and it is further agreed that Sponsors shall have no liability or responsibility for use by any other individual or entity of any aspect of your Entry.
HOWEVER, IF YOUR ENTRY IS SELECTED AS A WINNER, IN ORDER TO MOVE FORWARD AND BE ELIGIBLE FOR A PRIZE AWARD, YOU MUST FIRST AGREE TO EXECUTE A CONFIDENTIALITY/NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT OR THE PURPOSE OF FACILITATING DISCUSSIONS WITH PRIZE SPONSOR AIMED AT FURTHER ASSESSING YOUR ENTRY PROPOSAL. THE CONFIDENTIALITY/NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT WILL BE DIRECTED TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF YOUR ENTRY, AND THE TECHNOLOGY IT DESCRIBES, AS WELL AS ANY RELATIONSHIP THAT MAY BE NEGOTIATED BETWEEN YOU AND PRIZE SPONSOR. SUCH CONFIDENTIALITY/NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT WILL BE DIRECTED TO YOUR ENTRY IP (AS DESCRIBED ABOVE).
13. WARRANTIES: By submitting an Entry, you represent and warrant that all information in your Entry and all the information and materials that you submit via the Competition Website are true and complete to the best of your knowledge, that you have the right and authority to submit the Entry and disclose the information therein on your own behalf or on behalf of the persons and entities that you specify within the Entry, and that your Entry (both the information and materials submitted in the Entry and the underlying technology/method/idea described in the Entry):
(a) is your own original work and representative of your capability, or is the original work of your team submitted with the permission of all team members with full and proper credit given within your Entry;
(b) contains NO confidential information or trade secrets (yours or anyone else’s);
(c) does not, to the best of your knowledge, violate or infringe upon the patent rights, industrial design rights, copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity;
(d) contains no malicious code, such as viruses, malware, timebombs, cancelbots, worms, Trojan horses or other potentially harmful programs or other material or information;
(e) does not and will not violate any applicable law, statute, ordinance, rule, regulation, confidentiality agreement or other agreement;
(f) does not trigger any reporting or royalty or other obligation to any third party;
(g) has not been previously published so as to create a bar to patentability; and
(h) has not won any other prize or award.
A breach of any warranty set out in this provision of the Official Rules will result in the corresponding Entry being invalid. In addition, you agree to indemnify Sponsors against all loss, damages and costs incurred by the Sponsors arising from your breach of the warranty.
14. JUDGING: Entries will be evaluated by a panel of at least two (2) judges comprised of Stena Line employees with expertise in marine biology, maritime cleaning and ship operations (collectively the “Judges Panel” or “Judges”).
Entries will be evaluated based on compliance with Entry Requirements (as specified above) as well as upon a combination of the following (collectively the “Judging Criteria”):
Technical feasibility (including durability) and proof of effectiveness to prevent and/or continuously remove biofouling on an ongoing basis;
Ease of deployment (including cost, scalability, etc.); and,
Ability and speed to commercialize (with ability to pilot within six (6) months and be compliant to regulatory standards within six (6) months thereafter.
Judging will occur during the period from late January 2019 to mid-February 2019. Up to two (2) Entries that best meet the Judging Criteria will be selected as Award Winners. Sponsors reserve the right to select fewer than two (2) winners, or even to select no winners, in the event that an insufficient number of Entries meeting the Judging Criteria are submitted during the Competition Period, as determined in the sole discretion of the Judges.
ALL DECISIONS OF ADMINISTRATORS, PRIZE SPONSOR AND THE JUDGES PANEL WILL BE FINAL AND BINDING ON ALL MATTERS RELATING TO THIS COMPETITION.
15. AWARDS: In mid-February 2019, Sponsors will announce via the Competition Website up to two (2) winners who may have the opportunity to become a collaborator/supplier to Stena Line and such further engagement may include participation in a three-month program to install and pilot the winning solution on a Stena Line ship (the “Pilot Program” or “Pilot”). The Pilot Program will monitor efficacy of the solution and will require submission of a final report summarizing results against expectations at the conclusion of the pilot period. Upon competition of the three-month Pilot Program, Sponsor may, at their own discretion and based on the merits and outcomes of the Pilot, explore the installment of the solution across Stena Line’s entire fleet.
WINNERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO EXECUTE ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO A DECLARATION OF ELIGIBILITY AND RELEASE AND A CONFIDENTIALITY/NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT.
All potential winners will be notified by the e-mail address provided in the Entry. Return of any notification as “undeliverable” will result in disqualification. All prize awards are subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules. Sponsors reserve the right to examine Entries for compliance with the Competition Rules. Prize winners may, subject to applicable laws and regulations, be screened to ensure they are not included on any Government Watch list.
All decisions of the Sponsors and Judges will be final and binding on all matters relating to this Competition. After verification of eligibility and receipt of the requisite documents, awards will be distributed in the form of a check addressed to the official representative specified in the winning Entry. That official representative will have sole responsibility for further distribution of any cash award among participants in a group Entry or within a company or institution that has submitted an Entry through that representative. No substitution or transfer of prize awards is permitted.
This is a contest of skill. Whether or not your Entry is determined as a winner depends on how your Entry compares to the other Entries submitted in the Competition when evaluated based on the Judging Criteria. All awards are a one-time offer and there is no offer of licensure, royalty, or other financial compensation implied beyond the award. You are responsible for all taxes and reporting related to any award that you receive as part of the Competition.
16. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Competition, you agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Stena Line, GE and BrightIdea and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, contractors and licensees and other business partners, advertising and promotions agencies, as applicable, and each of their respective agents, representatives, officers, directors, shareholders, and employees (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”) and the Judging Panel from and against any injuries, losses, damages, claims, actions and any liability of any kind (including attorneys’ fees) resulting from or arising out of your participation in, association with or submission to the Competition (including any claims alleging that your Entry infringes, misappropriates or violates any third party’s intellectual property rights). Sponsor Entities and the Judging Panel are not responsible for any miscommunications such as technical failures related to computer, telephone, cable, and unavailable network or server connections, related technical failures, or other failures related to hardware, software or virus, or incomplete, late or misdirected Entries. Any compromise to the fair and proper conduct of this Competition may result in the disqualification of an Entry, termination of the Competition, or other remedial action, at the sole discretion of the Sponsors.
17. NO OBLIGATION: You acknowledge that multiple participants may submit Entries that contain designs, concepts or technologies similar to your Entry and that Stena Line, and/or its respective subsidiaries, parents, contractors, and licensees and other business partners may already be considering, investigating or developing, or may subsequently consider, investigate or develop independent to the Competition, technical solutions or business activities that are related or similar to those that you disclose in your Entry. You acknowledge and agree that Stena Line’s actions, or one of its own solutions or business activities, or any such other entity’s actions with respect to any such technical solutions or another Entry, in each case even if related or similar to your Entry or any technology described therein, shall not create in Stena Line or any such other entity, any liability to you or others. Further, Stena Line and its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parents, contracts and licensees and other business partners (as well as its respective successors and assigns) is not and shall not be restricted in any way from pursuing, developing, or commercializing, in any way that it sees fit, independent of you and at its sole discretion, any technical solutions or business activities or other Entries independent of your Entry. For the avoidance of doubt, you acknowledge that Stena Line is not obligated to take any action whatsoever with regard to your Entry.
18. SEVERABILITY: The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision was not contained herein.
19. WAIVER: By entering the Competition, you waive all rights to seek injunctive or equitable relief, or to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or attorneys’ fees. Except where prohibited by law, by entering you agree that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with these Official Rules or this Competition shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action.
20. APPLICABLE LAW: You agree that these terms and the relationship between you and the Sponsors shall be governed by the laws of the England and Wales without reference to any conflict of laws rules that might lead to the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction.
You acknowledge and agree that all aspects and content of your Entry, including the Entry IP (as defined herein), shall be treated as if made in the England and Wales and England and Wales laws relating to patents, inventions, assignments and compensation shall supersede the relevant laws of any country in which the Entry, including the Entry IP, may have been conceived and/or made.